Tuesday 27 August 2013

Crusher Dust Blues

I knew our gravel was getting low, and fortunately we had money set aside from our last provision.  I called this morning to order it, but the guy told me he was having trouble getting crusher dust, and it would be a week or two!  A bit of a setback, but there's still work we can do.  On the other hand, good news yesterday was that I called the man with the lumber mill on the mountain in Ficksburg.  He said I can come next week and get a ton for R100 ($10)!!  With that wood, I'll be able to make window frames and door frames, so that will be the work for next week.


The last of the crusher dust dust,
before we mixed today.


Yesterday we were all a bit slow.  Don't know why!  Most of the time I feel like we are making good progress on the house, but the last two days, I just wish it was all done!  Was thinking that a year from now, my life will be different!  I still might be building-either for the school or for the guys, but at least be living in our house.  

Electricity
We have pre-paid electricity, which is nice in a way, no surprise large bills!  However, it is turning out much more expensive than we thought.  Almost spending as much on electricity as our rent! (But we aren't paying market rate.)  Most of it is the geyser, which makes no sense why more people haven't gone solar.  I figure we payed R600 for hot water this month.  A solar water heater is R10k.  Seems like it would pay for itself in just a few years.  Another reason we are going off the grid!

No comments:

Post a Comment