Saturday 31 August 2013

Random news and Brown Volcano Story


Volunteers

We wouldn't be where we are at without the guys that have volunteered. I can't afford to pay them a real wage, I can only give them about enough to cover their lunch, so it's not like they are employees that I can make demands of. In the morning when I pick them up, sometimes they are 10 minutes late. Back when we lived at Mosamane, they would sometimes miss the ride that I arranged for them (to save me both time and diesel). Then I would have to drive in to get them. That was frustrating.

I bring hot water and have coffee in the little storeroom, so after we get to the house site, there is a before work coffee break. I can usually water the garden during that time! I have to remind myself, that without them, I'd be working at a snail's pace. Something else I'm learning is that relationships are the most important thing. Yelling at them to get started would only bring an oppressive atmosphere. I know a good bit of it is cultural. Work expectations here are different from the US. When summer comes, I'd like to start around 7:30. Going to propose to the guys if we do, we'll stop earlier. I just don't know what time I'd actually pick them up.


The Mine

Since we are basically out of crusher dust, most of our work this week has been in the mine digging out soil and clay. It's not fun work, but it has to be done. Friday a cold front arrived, it was windy and cold, so we only worked till lunch. We do have lots of supplies set up, both soil and clay, so once we get crusher dust, we'll be able to mix cob for 10 days at least, maybe more.
Two dirt piles to the left,
and clay pit and clay pile to the right.

Nice dirt pile on left, clay on the right.


Lumber

We are also at the point of the windows on many walls, so been waiting to get lumber. I found a mill on top of the mountain at Ficksburg a while ago, and the guy was suppose to call me, but never did. I called him again this week, and asked about his reject pieces (with bark on one side, or knots, whatever). This is fine for us because the wood is going to be covered by cob, it just needs to be solid to attach the windows when we are near finished. The good news is that for one ton of rejects, it only cost R100/$10. I'd love to get several tons, it's transporting them to de la Harpe that is a little challenging.

Other work

Plugged drain, with peep-hole.
You can see the outer ring that broke off to the left.


We lived in 3 places here so far, and had toilet issues in 2 of them. One of the toilets in our current place backed up, so on my Friday afternoon off, I was on toilet duty. Toilets here, most of the time, are placed against an outside wall and the pipe comes straight out, and where it turns downward, there is a peep-hole you can open. However, the pipes had been painted over when the house was painted, so it was a struggle getting them open. Actually broke one of them getting it off. The one was clear, the other was blocked up to the point of the opening. I wasn't able to buy a plunger, but was able to get a bottle of “Free-Flow.” I was going to pour this straight into the pipe where I could see the blockage. I looked at the bottle again, 98% sulphuric acid! Fortunately I had some thick rubber gloves. Put them on, and poured just a little bit. Combining sulphuric acid and sewage results in a bubbling, steaming, brown volcano!! Unfortunately, it didn't loosen things up completely. This morning (the next day), the level has dropped another 8 inches or so, but still there. Going to check at the co-op if they have another bottle in the back, as the one I got was the last one the shelf. CornĂ© and I both said that once in our house, we won't have any toilet leaking/blocking up issues. Another advantage of compost toilets-simple and effective!


No comments:

Post a Comment