Tuesday 17 September 2013

Burnin' the Backyard

The house we live in didn't have the lawn mowed for months, and we don't have a lawn mower. So, our best option was the tradition of burning the dry grass.  We watered down a perimeter and borrowed a fire swatter (looks like someone made a wig of a piece of car tire).  We lit a batch of thick grass, and it started to burn quickly!  In 20-30 seconds I could feel the heat on my face, and the amount of smoke was much more than I anticipated!  Was a bit concerned, as we didn't have a permit (I remembered Michael telling me after July a permit is needed, kinda remembered a bit late!), and the Municipality office is across the corner from us.  The cloud of smoke was huge for just a bit of grass, maybe 3-4 square meters!   We cut back our goal of 30 or so square meters to just burning under the laundry line.  Not that I didn't respect fire before, but I now have an even better healthy fear of field fires.  Found out a couple days later someone did see the smoke and called our neighbor, thinking her house was on fire!

Option number two is using animals.  At first we had a few cows stop by, and we even gave them water to encourage them to stay.   The last couple of days, we've had a visiting herd!  Lawn does look much better.  

Burning did help us find the septic tank, which I think I'm going to have to dig up, as our toilets are blocked up.  Can't just inform the landlady and expect her to fix it, as she's letting us stay for so little, and now we have brought a sewage/septic problem to light which would have remained unknown if she had just left the house empty till she sold the house.  The house is suppose to be connected to the sewer system, but I think it's still on the old septic system.







No comments:

Post a Comment