Friday 26 July 2013

Another Natural Builder!




For a couple months now, I have driven by this house where the owner has adobe bricks drying in the front and has started an earthen house off to the side. So about a week ago, I decided to walk down there while Corné was at Thsepo. Turns out, the owner was there and his two workers. He knew decent English, so we go to have a nice chat. The beginning of the conversation was about how his wife wasn't on time or something, she had his cigarettes, and so on, so in a round about way (which, I'm learning, is cultural), he was asking me for a smoke. After I politely refused him, we got onto talking about building.

He digs the soil right out of his back yard. Then mixes it with water to get it muddy, and then puts it in his mold, which is a metal tin of some kind with the bottom cut out. They've got the water amount down pat, when the guy lifts the mold up, the brick basically keeps it's shape. They leave them to dry for 2-3 days, then put them up on the wall, using an earthen mortar to stick them together. Nothing added to the mix. They told me this several times.

The house is looking good. I wonder why more people don't do this. I asked them several times, but they must not of understood the question, never got an answer.







After the owner left, I stuck around for a couple more photos and to do some video. I was showing them the video when friends of theirs came down the road. They jumped the fence to watch, and then insisted on having their photo taken!




All in all, it was a great experience. Some people would think I'm crazy walking around Mautse, but I never felt threatened. I actually got two more great photos on the way home!

No comments:

Post a Comment