Tuesday 9 July 2013

New definition of Hunger


I'm not a food photographer, so I can't make his look as good as it tastes!  These are plates ready to go to the children at Thsepo (soup kitchen).  The targeted group of children are those living with one parent that is unemployed.  Some children would only get one meal for the day if it weren't for Thsepo!  There are several things I think about . . .

Hunger

Personally, my own view of hunger has changed, as well as my appetite!  Since I've switched from being a teacher to a natural builder, I've lost 20 pounds or so, and my waist is back to college size!  Back in Florida, I wasn't a big eater, nor did I care for all-you-can-eat buffets.  Now, I can eat a full plate, and am still hungry afterwards. I can eat whatever ai want.     I'm just burning calories like I haven't for years.  At the same time, when I am hungry, it doesn't make me grumpy.  I think of the children at Thsepo that don't get food  like I do, but don't complain and just keep on playing, do what they're doing with a smile on their face.  I think many people, myself included, could learn something from them.





What is Food?

Sit down if you live in the US.  Early on, Corné asked them their favorite foods.  Number one: spinach!  Then cabbage, then beans.  One child said meat, one said chips (French fries), and one fruit.  Imagine, real food!  I can't imagine getting this response in America.  The photo above shows a typical meal: there are beans in a sauce, the yellow mash is sweet potatoes, the white is pap-corn meal cooked to a sticky consistency, very nice!  The smell is always good when I come in, in contrast to the cafeteria back in Florida.  The difference is ironic.  The children here are very poor, but getting a delicious, healthy meal, and they clean their plate with their fingers.  When they bring their plates up to the table, there are only faint grease lines visible.  In the US, the food wasn't often appealing, most of it came frozen, and I saw lots of it go to waste.  (I know the people at my school did the best they could with the budget they had.).  

Yesterday I arrived at church to pick up Corné around 4, when Thsepo ends.  There was nobody outside playing soccer, so I thought all had gone home and was wondering were Corné was.  I parked and walked toward the kitchen and opened the door.  Thirty children with food before them looked up-here wasn't a single sound!  One of our great pleasures these days is watching these children enjoy their food in perfect silence!

1 comment: