Tuesday 2 July 2013

Safety Burn





Monday, Machiel, our neighbor and landlord, asked for my help in burning strips around his buildings, including the hikers hut we stay in.  I said sure, as I wanted to see how this was all done since we live a grassland where field fires are common.  He has a frame the holds a big water tank and a petrol powered pump that fills the bed of his truck.  Thapelo went along with a can 4/5:1 diesel petrol mix lighting the grass, Machiel was spraying the back edge with water.  I stood around with a flapper-broom stick with a sliced old tire for beating out fires. For the first hour it was boring, then Françious came to help with his tank and hose!  At last I got to spray water, keeping the fire off the fence, Machiel working the other side.  We moved along 200 meters or so, still not exciting till Machiel pointed back to where the fire had somehow gotten into the tall grass beside the strip!  Drivers hopped into trucks, I sprayed it out, the excitement lasted all of 25 seconds. Truthfully, glad it wasn't exciting, and feel safer with a burn strip around our place.

Had a thought regarding building, not what I wanted.  Think the whole house will be dug and mixed manually.   Was  hoping and praying for a tractor and sillage mixer, but don't think it will happen.  I am hoping now that somehow money will come in so I can hire 8-10 guys for the next two months.  Would rather put money into their pockets than buy a machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment